The website is in maintenance until the 30th so you may experience some issues/bugs.

Welcome to Arma Roleplay

Register now to gain access to all of our features and to see more of our forum sections.

Sign in to follow this  
BLitZ Melborn

Arma-roleplay New Map

Vote the new Arma-roleplay map   37 members have voted

1. 1. Maps:

• Map 1
    • Map 2
    • Map 3
    • Map 4
    • Other
    • Keep the current map

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
52 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Nick Martinez said:

I Agree Lakeside is a WAY Big map for our population, if we switched to seaside their will be alot more entertainment, and most likely the effect would be that the server will grow.

If the server does grow and gets a significantly higher population, Kelly's island will be too small and the devs will have to change the map again. 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

If the server does grow and gets a significantly higher population, Kelly's island will be too small and the devs will have to change the map again. 

I disagree. Looking at other large communities, Kelly's island works just fine with 60-80 people.

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

If it proves that Kelly's Island is unable to support the servers population at some point then switching back would be fine, but the problem is the amount of people needed for lakeside to be a fun map, and there just isn't that population at the time.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I agree with Alex, I have played on Kellys Island before with a populated server with the same Mods/Missionfile. I can say right now the fun lasts about 24hr then it gets over repetitive and boring. You can drive from one end to the other in literal seconds. Flying is pointless and gunfights end instantly due to the smallness of the map. I would only recommend playing Kellys island if you plan on making the sever vanilla again. This way FPS would survive and things would take more time to get. 

The Leadership team will soon be discussing this topic and so any and all further contributions to this post will be appreciated.

1 hour ago, John McMullen said:

I agree with Alex, I have played on Kellys Island before with a populated server with the same Mods/Missionfile. I can say right now the fun lasts about 24hr then it gets over repetitive and boring. You can drive from one end to the other in literal seconds. Flying is pointless and gunfights end instantly due to the smallness of the map. I would only recommend playing Kellys island if you plan on making the sever vanilla again. This way FPS would survive and things would take more time to get. 

The scripts running on the server now can be easily be removed / changed if it is found to be a FPS hog. Either way, I personally think the the pros out weigh the cons for switching to Kelly's island. For starters, it would give us the uniqueness we want by changing the map our selfs. 

To to point out some of your cons you listed that are not true or not relevant...

1. Seconds to drive across map? I know your exaggerating, but come on, saying that is just plain out not true.

2. Gun fights doesn't depend on the size of a map at all. How is this even something that needs to be brought up?

3. Flying has always been close to pointless on any life server.

4. FPS is trial and error really, easy fixes when needed.

Opinions? 

Edited by CMC. Smith
Point out irrelevant cons

10 minutes ago, CMC. Smith said:

The scripts running on the server now can be easily be removed / changed if it is found to be a FPS hog. Either way, I personally think the the pros out weigh the cons for switching to Kelly's island. For starters, it would give us the uniqueness we want by changing the map our selfs. 

What you think and What I know are completely different. I know for a fact the map becomes boring as fuck after a day. If it was that easy to change a map to be unique then it would have been done with the Lakeside map, Kelly's island is literally created for Vanilla based community's with low population if it was created for anything else then fuck me :P

Don't get me wrong but if thats what the server now is then by all means go with it but it honestly is a buzz kill and certainly wont sustain an increased population

Edited by John McMullen
dddddddddddddddddddddddddd

11 minutes ago, CMC. Smith said:

To to point out some of your cons you listed that are not true or not relevant...

1. Seconds to drive across map? I know your exaggerating, but come on, saying that is just plain out not true.

2. Gun fights doesn't depend on the size of a map at all. How is this even something that needs to be brought up?

3. Flying has always been close to pointless on any life server.

4. FPS is trial and error really, easy fixes when needed.

Opinions? 

1. No exaggeration at all I can gaurantee that driving from one end to another will not take more than 1 minute

2. For you to say size of map doesn't effect shoot out situations is just silly. Just like lakeside there are main areas, Morrison, Lakeside etc well its the same for kellys island the only difference is the map is 10x smaller and one proper city in the middle.

3. In a broad view flying can be fun and ive personally has alot of gun times in a police air unit chasing helis. The fact that this map is so small means that doesnt happen and youll be shot down from anywhere in the map.

4. FPS is always going to be a problem for people no point arguing the fact.

I'm only giving my 2 pence Ive played the map, with the same mods/mission police and gang layout and ive been with that said community when its players decided to change map. For a long term kellys is pointless but if its for something new then by all means go ahead it will be fun max couple of days my advice would to be try and heavily change and add stuff in on the lakeside map while people are playing those few days.

43 minutes ago, John McMullen said:

1. No exaggeration at all I can gaurantee that driving from one end to another will not take more than 1 minute

2. For you to say size of map doesn't effect shoot out situations is just silly. Just like lakeside there are main areas, Morrison, Lakeside etc well its the same for kellys island the only difference is the map is 10x smaller and one proper city in the middle.

3. In a broad view flying can be fun and ive personally has alot of gun times in a police air unit chasing helis. The fact that this map is so small means that doesnt happen and youll be shot down from anywhere in the map.

4. FPS is always going to be a problem for people no point arguing the fact.

I'm only giving my 2 pence Ive played the map, with the same mods/mission police and gang layout and ive been with that said community when its players decided to change map. For a long term kellys is pointless but if its for something new then by all means go ahead it will be fun max couple of days my advice would to be try and heavily change and add stuff in on the lakeside map while people are playing those few days.

I still disagree. No point in arguing view points now.

58 minutes ago, John McMullen said:

What you think and What I know are completely different. I know for a fact the map becomes boring as fuck after a day. If it was that easy to change a map to be unique then it would have been done with the Lakeside map, Kelly's island is literally created for Vanilla based community's with low population if it was created for anything else then fuck me :P

Don't get me wrong but if thats what the server now is then by all means go with it but it honestly is a buzz kill and certainly wont sustain an increased population

What you know doesn't matter to me at all. What I know is what I go by. 

With multiple updates per month, continuation of growing population, and terrain editing and mission editing, it will completely be good with the community.

Oh, and it already has been done for Lakeside on many communities. Ever hear of Metropolis? 

Kellys island and was made for RP style servers, not the vanilla Tonic framework, or any other standard framework. Saying the map will "only" work on vanilla communities is just stubborn.

20 hours ago, CMC. Smith said:

What you know doesn't matter to me at all. What I know is what I go by. 

With multiple updates per month, continuation of growing population, and terrain editing and mission editing, it will completely be good with the community.

Oh, and it already has been done for Lakeside on many communities. Ever hear of Metropolis? 

Kellys island and was made for RP style servers, not the vanilla Tonic framework, or any other standard framework. Saying the map will "only" work on vanilla communities is just stubborn.

Continuing to discuss this with you is like trying to discuss something with a child. They will always think they are right. The fact that I tell you I have witnessed what happens when a community switches from Lakeside to Kelly's island yet you still try to argue the point from what you are imagining its insane really. 

I say the Map will only work on a Vanilla Framework because you are only going to get roleplay on a Vanilla type server its as simple as that. If you have the current or more updated framework then it will not even be playable with all the action that happens and the small amount of space for it to happen in.

In regards to lakeside I was actually referring to this server and its development team about the whole Lakeside map thing. You say you can do all this and that for Kelly's island but still fail to have done it on the Lakeside map?

6 minutes ago, John McMullen said:

Continuing to discuss this with you is like trying to discuss something with a child. They will always think they are right. The fact that I tell you I have witnessed what happens when a community switches from Lakeside to Kelly's island yet you still try to argue the point from what you are imagining its insane really. 

I say the Map will only work on a Vanilla Framework because you are only going to get roleplay on a Vanilla type server its as simple as that. If you have the current or more updated framework then it will not even be playable with all the action that happens and the small amount of space for it to happen in.

In regards to lakeside I was actually referring to this server and its development team about the whole Lakeside map thing. You say you can do all this and that for Kelly's island but still fail to have done it on the Lakeside map?

Alright, you got your opinion and I got mine. This is a discussion, not an arguement. You should really find out the difference. 

22 hours ago, CMC. Smith said:

Alright, you got your opinion and I got mine. This is a discussion, not an arguement. You should really find out the difference. 

Special?

2 hours ago, John McMullen said:

Special?

Took you a while to think about a insult to post.

Any post ranting about each other will be deleted from here on out. 

Cut the shit.

We have started talking about this in the leadership team and at the moment we are more favorable towards the new Lakeside map the only issue we will come against is obtaining this. if anyone can assist with this then let us no 

I have played Kelly's Island before on two communities one with a large population and one with a small population and both times it was very enjoyable. The map is the perfect size for RP, it is also very well optimised with lots of different styles of terrains. The version I played also had an interesting compound that would be great for the Governors compound. +1 Map 2

On 6/24/2017 at 2:36 PM, Tyler Johnson said:

I have been working on a layout (no scripts or objects just markers atm)

Please tell me if you notice anything missing (clothing/gang bases/official businesses have yet to be assigned a spot)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25d8ncsnysa7896/AABQRZ5fxCwf2yXEps4QKvQHa?dl=0

Would show pictures here, but didnt want to make this post 3 miles longer

Looks amazing Tyler.

In my honest opinion, Kelleys Island is probably the optimal choice if we want "Roleplay, done properly" to keep on being a thing. Roleplay is not only a server imitating real life, it's about player interaction and that is very minimal on a large map like Lakeside. As also said above, Kelleys Island is a great size for roleplay, and Lakeside has been burned out a long time ago. If we want to progress, we need to get more player interaction.

I think we can all admit that we are probably not the largest community around, and getting a smaller map to increase player interaction would help out.

When you go to a town/city in real life, you see people everywhere. You don't in Lakeside.

Player interaction is a large part of roleplay. It makes immersion so much better, if you're just roaming around in a car for 5-10 minutes without seeing any people you are going to realise that it's a game, and that also contributes to making people not being able to roleplay as much. If you want to roleplay properly, then you have to be immersed in the experience.

The modern Lakeside map is larger than the current Lakeside map which would only further contribute to breaking immersion.

Personally I only play games that I can really immerse myself into, and I'm probably not the only one.

Some people don't want to switch away from Lakeside because of LVESU and LVPD naming and vehicle skins. And honestly, how hard can it be to change 4-5 letters around the place. Not to belittle the work that has been put into making LVPD and LVES(U) into what they are now.

I don't know the exact point of me saying this, all I'm saying is that a smaller map would definitely be the better choice.

I might get some shit for expressing my honest opinion, but oh well it's 2017...