Updates coming daily, see all changelogs here.

Sign in to follow this  
Scream

Add Direct Typechat and more for RP

Scream    68

I think adding direct typechat would be a pretty good thing for the community. Text chat allows a completely new slew of possibilities in terms of roleplay, and how it is done. It allows you to show emotion through your character, and can allow OOC (//) chat if need be, when talking about server/admins, and preventing people from screaming out in a crowd or in DOC "IM TAKING YOU TO GODS" "THE MATRIX IS RESTARTING" or other bullshit like that. Without this, you cant really see how someone feels/looks, facial expression, appearance, and the like. There is also some more room for having Character Permanancy. If you are shot by somebody and die, you roleplay as if you were injured in the fight, and live another day. However, you cannot take revenge on the person that killed you within a certain time after you died, blah blah blah to prevent that rule from going to shit. However, having this character permanancy would allow someone to cause permanent damage to someone, and give a lot of space for rp, here is an example of all of these things being put to use.

[UO] Chance Scream : *He takes the butt of his gun, and smacks it against your kneecap.* //Does it hit? (Permission to permanently injure someone within rp)

Now, the person can either say yes or no, if they consent to the action, like so.

Regular Joe: //Yes, it hits

Then, at that point, Regular Joe would start screaming like I just smacked him in the kneecap with my gun. Later on, I would be able to do something like this, so he can decide how injured he really is.

[UO] Chance Scream: *He inspects Regular Joes kneecap, trying to see what damage I caused* //Describe the wound

At this point, regular joe would reply.

Regular Joe: //It is visibly bruised, and the skin around the hit looks deformed. I however, am able to limp on the limb with limited pain

Interactions like these are what separates shitty rp and great rp. The ability to communicate injuries and or medical roleplay, along with it being enjoyable for both parties because they BOTH decide what happens. Of course, if somebody denies every single injury, they are avoiding roleplay and are known as a "Super Soldier", who should be reported. This could be a really big thing for the EMS guys as well and the doctors in their facilities, because injuries could be described without it sounding weird, with the EMS guy either saying what the injury is or asking the guy as he is examining him....

• Upvote 4

Scream    68
Just now, CMC. Smith said:

-1, Direct chat would cause more issues then any gains. 

How though? If someone abuses it, you fucking report it. RP is shitty right now, and this can definitely help. and voice chat wont be activated, so that wont be an issue....

• Upvote 2

Scream    68
Just now, Luck said:

+1 It was useful in Arma 2 for actions for example **Blindfolds**

Exactly! I feel so awkward when I have to gag someone ingame and I have to say "OK IM GAGGING YOU NOW YOU CANNOT SPEAK"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Luck said:

+1 It was useful in Arma 2 for actions for example **Blindfolds**

You can do this by saying "I am gagging you" for example.

For this reason, and as Xavier said it would cause too many issues, -1

• Upvote 2

Scream    68
Just now, [AR] Brandon said:

You can do this by saying "I am gagging you" for example.

For this reason, and as Xavier said it would cause too many issues, -1

That ruins fucking immersion lmao. How the fuck would this cause an issue?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scream said:

That ruins fucking immersion lmao. How the fuck would this cause an issue?

I do not feel that it ruins immersion, having to type in chat whilst in a RP situation ruins immersion.

• Upvote 3

Scream    68

I do not feel that it ruins immersion, having to type in chat whilst in a RP situation ruins immersion.

no it doesn't. Unless you type like a 5 year old child with one finger, typing is easy, and there are rp reasons as to having to stop a car to type to someone such as having to view your map or talk to friends on radio. You know what does ruin immersion? "OK SIR IM PUTTING A PIECE OF CLOTH IN YOUR MOUTH, YOU CANNOT SPEAK ANYMORE" and then the guy says "YOU CANNOT DO THAT I'M TAKING YOU TO GODS"

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scream said:

no it doesn't. Unless you type like a 5 year old child with one finger, typing is easy, and there are rp reasons as to having to stop a car to type to someone such as having to view your map or talk to friends on radio. You know what does ruin immersion? "OK SIR IM PUTTING A PIECE OF CLOTH IN YOUR MOUTH, YOU CANNOT SPEAK ANYMORE" and then the guy says "YOU CANNOT DO THAT I'M TAKING YOU TO GODS"

1) People may type slower than you, I have a friend who types with all fingers but has a slow typing speed. This does not mean he types with one finger.

2) There are RP reasons to stop a car, however it is much easier to say " I am gagging you"

3) If they say that, they are in the wrong. If they read the rules they would know that it is perfectly allowed within the rules.

Scream    68

1) People may type slower than you, I have a friend who types with all fingers but has a slow typing speed. This does not mean he types with one finger.

2) There are RP reasons to stop a car, however it is much easier to say " I am gagging you"

3) If they say that, they are in the wrong. If they read the rules they would know that it is perfectly allowed within the rules.

It doesn't matter how in the wrong they are, they still do it because apparently yelling about gods is within rp. It isnt easier to say that, and speaking is clunky and awkward because it sounds like that is what you are doing. Also, we aren't typing that much dude.... its as easy as *he gags you*

Still, tying can ruin immersion for a lot of people who dont type fast. 

And for what you are saying about it being awkward, its RP. You are doing it within RP. 

People yelling about gods does ruin immersion, but much less than having to type.

Scream    68

Still, tying can ruin immersion for a lot of people who dont type fast. 

And for what you are saying about it being awkward, its RP. You are doing it within RP. 

People yelling about gods does ruin immersion, but much less than having to type.

At that point I just think you don't know what you're talking about

J. Shreve    12

I support this, but typing in direct chat takes up time, and prevents you from doing anything else in game while you are doing it, so I imagine people will end up getting killed while they ty-

Edited by J. Shreve

Scream    68
Just now, J. Shreve said:

I support this, but typing in direct chat takes up time, and prevents you from doing anything else in game while you are doing it, so I imagine people will end up getting killed while they ty-

lollolol. I completely see your point, however, I don't really see a reason of why you would need to type in a life threatening situation in the first place....

Scream    68
Just now, Alsing said:

-1 Use your mic...

Ok! Sure! "I SMACK YOU IN THE LEG WITH MY GUNBUTT. DOES IT CRIPPLE YOU GOOD SIR?

"I AM LOOKING AT YOUR CHESTWOUND. I CAN'T REALLY TELL WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. CAN YOU TELL ME SIR?"

honestly just saying "Use your mic" shows how little you actually thought about the subject

Alsing    177
4 minutes ago, Scream said:

Ok! Sure! "I SMACK YOU IN THE LEG WITH MY GUNBUTT. DOES IT CRIPPLE YOU GOOD SIR?

"I AM LOOKING AT YOUR CHESTWOUND. I CAN'T REALLY TELL WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. CAN YOU TELL ME SIR?"

honestly just saying "Use your mic" shows how little you actually thought about the subject

You know that's not how it works lmao

Scream    68
Just now, Alsing said:

You know that's not how it works lmao

No, its not. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AT ALL. Saying no to this suggestion is saying no to rp

Alsing    177
Just now, Scream said:

No, its not. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AT ALL. Saying no to this suggestion is saying no to rp

Well, that's a bold statement.

Scream    68
Just now, Alsing said:

Well, that's a bold statement.

Changes were never made over timid statements..

Hoxton    154

You can't put actions in chat... Against the rules scrub. If its not an action in game then you can't use it

Scream    68
4 minutes ago, Hoxton said:

You can't put actions in chat... Against the rules scrub. If its not an action in game then you can't use it

You are misinterpreting the rule.

"

Changed: 4.0.2 - You are not allowed to make up invisible items which cause an unfair advantage (such as saying that you've got a gun/knife pointed at a person, even though you're unarmed)

Example of what you can't say:

"I have a knife to your throat so listen to me or die" whilst in a car.  

Example of something thats allowed: 

(COP) - "I'm going to unrestrain you, but I have shackeled your feet and I want you to drop all of you gear on the ground".

(CIV) - "I'm putting a cloth in your mouth and you're now unable to speak"

Edited by Scream